The perfect body of Vajrasattva: white, radiant like a diamond, and possesses the nine peaceful qualities:
1) A subtle body ~ the sign that pride has been purified
2) A perfectly proportioned body ~ the sign that hatred has been purified
3) A well-toned body ~ the sign that desire has been purified
4) A pliant body ~ the sign that ignorance has been purified
5) Youthful appearance of the body ~ the sign that jealousy or envy has been purified
6) A clear body ~ the sign that the defect of stains has been purified
7) A radiant body ~ the sign of containing all excellent qualities
8) An attractive body ~ the sign of having the perfection of all the 32 excellent marks and the 80 minor signs
9) Splendor and blessings of the body ~ the sign of vanquishing all things
These qualities are not possessed by oneself as Vajrsattva alone. All beings of peaceful, illusory, enlightened awareness posses these qualities. Thus one should meditate.
There are also nine wrathful qualities possessed by the illusory beings of enlightened awareness. Wrathful deities show:
1) lustfull, coquettish, flirtatious demure aspects ~ in order to lead those beings who have desire
out of samsara
2) wrathful, brave aspects ~ in order to lead those beings who have hatred
3) awful, repulsive aspects ~ in order to lead those beings who have ignorance
4) coquettish, demure laughing sounds ~ in order to lead those beings who have desire
5) harsh, threatening sound ~ in order to lead those beings who have hatred
6) wrathful sounds like thunder in order to lead those beings who have ignorance
7) compassion ~ in order to lead those beings who have desire
8) magnificence ~ in order to lead those beings who have hatred
9) equanimity and peace ~ in order to lead those beings who have ignorance.
If all these qualities are even slightly understood the symbolic meaning of these beings will be understood.
If Western students understand the meaning of the peaceful and wrathful ones, then whether they are painting thankas or creating any other Dharma imagery, they will understand the meaning of what they are doing, and it will be of benefit to their spiritual practice. All of this is clearly explained in my book, The Small Golden Key published by Shambhala Publications
The Peaceful and Wrathful Qualities of Vajrasattva,
A Complete Commentary Given by Khayje Dungse Tinley Norbu RInpoche
“The Daily Yogic Method for the Accomplishment of the Lama Vajrasattva, the Vajra Warrior ~ Part Three: Pages 65-105 :
Commentaries on the Practices of Vajrasattva published by Vimala
Please join us as we remember our sublime
and most kind founder and teacher
Lama Tharchin Rinpoche
AUGUST 12, 2022
8 am – noon and 1 to 3 pm
(lunch available by reservation prior to August 10)
Dorsem Lama Chopa
(Offering to the Lama in the Form of Vajrasattva)
In Person and by Streaming
Sessions are available free of charge but please register
Accommodations available Thursday night only.
Register at Vajrayana.org
You must be logged in to post a comment.